Signs in the bedroom: Special disorder, dementia, announces 15 years earlier
Dementia can be a long time before the actual diagnosis is detected. For this, researchers find more and more unexpected connections – for example with a sleep disorder, or the pupil reactions. FOCUS Online explains the early warning signs, risk factors and what you can do for your brain health.
In addition to a cancer disease, many people fear dementia. The neurodegenerative disease and the associated Forget to make them afraid. Therefore, the two key terms are identified: symptoms, early risk factors on and off. Because of dementia, often Alzheimer’s disease, once erupted, can Suffer a maximum delay, but not cure.
For both key words, the research provides new, often surprising, findings.
Early detection of These symptoms announce dementia
1. Changed Eye Reactions
Even before the brain deterioration begins, could announce the eyes of a dementia. A recent study published in the journal “Neurobiology of Aging” shows How quickly large pupils in the cognitive Tests, provides an indication of whether someone is at risk. Background: The dementia responsible-made of Tau proteins accumulate in the control region of the brain, and thus change the eye reactions.
Now article for later “Pocket” to save
So you use the practical Tool “Pocket”
2. Special Sleep Disorder
Who strikes in the night, in his Dreams, and occurs, suffers from REM sleep behavior disorder. Researchers in Canada found that patients with this unusual dream disorder a 80 to 100 percent higher risk to later develop a disease in the neurodegenerative area, such as Parkinson’s disease and dementia.
Of course, every nightmare is not a sign for these diseases. It is crucial that the disturbance in the REM-occurs with sleep. This Phase is characterized by rapid eye movements with closed eyelids.
The study from Canada suggests that sleep problems are an early warning sign for diseases that can occur 15 years later.
Other signs of dementia
Also forgetfulness can be a sign of dementia. Specifically, you can make the following signs:
- You forget, increasingly, appointments.
- Several people are involved in a conversation, you have difficulties.
- To the content of conversations you can’t remember after a short time. Events, which are longer, are still very present.
- Do you have problems in your own apartment or in the well-known supermarket to navigate.
- You will find yourself in a place or in a room and forget what you wanted to do there, actually.
- It prepare a meal that requires several individual steps is difficult for you.
- As you read, you will have to repeat sections several times to understand it, and can no longer concentrate well.
- They have become schusseliger and negligent.
- You lack the right words more and more often.
Reports, Videos, backgrounds: From Monday to Friday, provided you FOCUS Online with the most important messages from the health Department. Here you can subscribe to the Newsletter easily and free of charge.
What you can do by yourself
On the different early warning signs, everyone can pay attention to a disease as early as possible to treat.
Read more: Just forgetful or dementia? With the clock drawing test to find out push So you can check your members – Only forgetful or demented? With the clock drawing test to find out
Everyone has it in the Hand, to minimize the risk factors for brain decline. Exceptions are the following:
Three risk factors for dementia, which is not influenced
Seven classic risk factors for dementia are modifiable
“About 30 percent of Alzheimer’s risk by seven risk factors, we can influence more or less effective,” says the dementia-researcher Miia Kivipelto from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. They are:
Anja Schneider, head of the working group for translational dementia research at the German center for Neurodegenerative diseases (DZNE), adds to the list of bad Hear: “This leads to social Isolation, which in turn can end up in a Depression. With a hearing aid, a risk would be a leverage factor for dementia easy.“ Several studies have already shown how important this factor is.
Recently, risk factors discovered for dementia and how to protect yourself
Observational studies have identified the following risk factors:
- Small Vessel Disease: hemorrhages in the small brain vessels (Small Vessel Disease) will be in the MRI as lesions are visible. You can indicate that in patients with high blood pressure to a threat of dementia. A study at the University of Barcelona showed that people with high blood pressure areas with growing lesions in the cavities (Ventricles) of the brain, a more than six-fold increased risk for cognitive impairment, had.
Recommendation: high blood pressure should, therefore, from the age of 45 years treated.
- Psychological Stress in middle age: These include financial and professional problems, and this sparked Fears and Worries. The dementia incidence is increased in the Affected by around a quarter.
Recommendation: the sports at this age is not only against Stress, but also preventive against dementia.
- Life without a Partner: Who age lives alone and lonely, has a higher risk of dementia, according to studies by 44 percent. Couples have a lower risk because they maintain overall healthier lives than Singles, and also more social contacts.
Recommendation: Expand your social environment, for example, about associations, folk high school courses or volunteer activities.
- A short period of REM sleep – researchers from Boston University found that shortened REM or dream sleep stages the risk of Alzheimer’s increase. Another study, conducted at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, found that old people with bad deep sleep is more harmful Tau proteins in the brain had.
Recommendation: a Good night’s sleep in all its phases seems to be an important protective factor against dementia to be.
With four steps you can slow down the decay of your brain
To these recommendations, the American Professor of psychiatry, Gary Small builds, (book: “2 Weeks To A Younger Brain: An Innovative Program for a Better Memory and Sharper Mind” – “2 weeks to a younger brain: An innovative program for a better memory and a sharp-greater spirit”; so far only in English appeared).
These are the four most important steps of the “formula” for healthy aging:
1. Be active
20 minutes fast walking every day to prevent dementia. The risk of disease decreases, according to Gary Small drastically. Exercise releases proteins, so that the brain cells communicate better with each other.
2. Eat a healthy diet
Who is in the middle of his life overweight, you risk to fall ill in later years from dementia. Small declared that people that reducing your weight can notice after two weeks, significant improvements in your memory.
In addition, Omega-3 fats from fish or nuts to help combat the inflammation associated with brain deterioration together. Fruits and fruit should also reduce oxidative Stress that contributes to the wear and tear of brain cells.
3. Avoid Stress
In his book he also describes how feelings affect the human body. Who has a lot of Stress, pours out any amount of Cortisol. This can not only damage the heart and stomach, but also for the brain. People whose brains are chronically exposed to too much Cortisol and, accordingly, have a higher risk for diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Be tip: take the body down, by practicing sports such as Yoga or Tai-Chi or meditate.
4. You Have To Train Your Mind
Good contacts to friends are not only happy, but also train the brain. A ten-minute, sophisticated conversation can improve memory, researchers in Michigan have found. Those who also can be an emotional subject, and reduces the Stress and protects the neurons in the brain.
The digital technologies and Small will find something Good: There are games for Smartphones, which develop skills such as Multitasking and problem-solving strategies. Who use Online search engines, could also activate neural circuits.
34 years before the outbreak visible: brain scans show Alzheimer’s disease
FOCUS Online/Wochit 34 years before the outbreak visible: brain scans show Alzheimer’s disease